As mentioned in the red batch, I think the Kobolds from Otherworld Miniatures are so full of character and great minis too.
Since then, I have field the Kobolds and while our heroes didn’t enjoy the encounter so much (the players did), I had a blast as I decided to mimic the behaviour of the “Rumpenisser” (“Rumphobs” in English) from the movie “Ronja Røverdatter“… it’s recently been remade as a Netflix TV series called “Ronya Robberdaughter”.
Basically, the Rumphobs do not talk directly to other people and they say “Whatfor?!?” a lot.
My Kobolds do something similar in that they do not speak directly to other races and they start every sentence with “Why…”.
- Hero: “Excuse me can we pass through your village?”
- Kobold 1: “Why is she asking whether she can pass through our village?”
- Kobold 2: “Why, I don’t know.”
- Kobold 1: “Why that’s weird”.
- Kobold 2: “Why yes indeed.”
This makes it both alien and frustrating to communicate with them and brings a whole new fun challenge to the players.
No such thing as too many Kobolds!